Carbon monoxide detector

Carbon Monoxide: Why It Is Called the Silent Killer and How to Keep Yourself Protected

Your home is your comfortable place to relax and feel safe. The last thing you think will happen is falling victim to a deadly gas leak. For this reason, it is crucial to ensure you and your family are protected from a potential tragedy. In this blog, our experts will dive deep into carbon monoxide and explain what it is, why it is called the "silent killer," its symptoms, and how to stay protected.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that is emitted when burning fuel, such as natural gas, propane, gasoline, oil, wood, or charcoal. Car engines and other combustion engines also produce it.

Why Is It Called “The Silent Killer”?

CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, which makes it very difficult to detect. The gas builds up quickly and can cause carbon monoxide poisoning before you even know there is a problem. CO poisoning occurs when red blood cells are unable to deliver oxygen to the body's tissues and organs. This lack of oxygen can cause severe tissue damage and even death.

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be challenging to identify because they are similar to other illnesses, such as the flu. Early symptoms may include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Weakness
  • Confusion

If you experience any of these symptoms, it is essential to get fresh air immediately and call for medical help. If you do not get fresh air or medical attention, the symptoms will become more severe and can include:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Seizures
  • Brain damage
  • Death

How To Prevent CO Poisoning In Your Home

The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is by installing a carbon monoxide detector. CO detectors are an important safety measure for every home. If you don't already have one, we urge you to install one as soon as possible.

Additionally, do not leave your car running in your garage. The build-up of CO can seep into your home and begin to harm those inside the house. Avoid using your gas stove or oven to heat your home during the winter, as the fumes can turn deadly. If you suspect there may be carbon monoxide in your home, open doors and windows immediately and call for help.

Who Will Install a CO Detector?

While you can purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector yourself, it is always best to hire a professional. An experienced electrician will be able to ensure that the device is installed correctly and will have the knowledge of where to place it to best protect you and your family.

If you have any further questions or need a carbon monoxide detector, our experts at HedgeHog Electric are always here to help. Give us a call (866) 605-2113, so we can assist in keeping you and your family safe!

Categories