Carbon monoxide detector

3 Home Systems That Could Save Your Life

Your home is supposed to be a safe place to unwind and relax. What happens when that sense of security is ripped away? House fires or gas leaks can cause devastating damage to your home, family, and peace of mind.

At HedgeHog Electric, we understand how important your home is to you and your family. For this reason, our team of experts has come together to educate you on a few home safety devices that protect your home from destruction and provide you the peace of mind you deserve.

Carbon Monoxide

Commonly referred to as the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Since this harmful gas is undetectable by your senses, you can easily fall victim to its fatal fumes before you realize what is happening.

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

A few symptoms you may be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath

Sources of CO In Your Home

It is produced primarily by fuel-burning appliances such as:

  • Clothes dryers
  • Furnaces
  • Fireplaces (gas and wood burning)
  • Gas stoves or ovens
  • Generators
  • Motor vehicles (increasingly dangerous when kept in a garage attached to your house)
  • Water heaters

How to Stay Protected

Proper Maintenance

Your appliances must be properly maintained and have adequate ventilation. All these fuel-burning appliances should be vented outside and checked annually by a licensed professional who knows the signs of a potential CO poisoning threat.

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Additionally, arm your home with updated equipment to detect the first signs of a carbon monoxide leak. The CO sensor inside the device detects the slightest amount of the gas and then sends an electronic signal to the alarm, alerting you to take necessary action. This warning should not be ignored, and you should immediately get yourself, your children, and your animals out of the house.

For optimal security, equip your home with multiple devices. If the batteries die, replace them at your earliest convenience. You must also have these installed by trained professionals who are knowledgeable about the entire system and ensure proper operation.

House Fire

Arguably the biggest fear of any homeowner, house fires can cause irreversible damage and devastation. Any home can fall victim to a catastrophic inferno, so it is vital to take necessary measures to detect the beginning signs of a fire.

How to Stay Protected

Fire Safety Tactics

  • Have an evacuation plan
  • Discuss the evacuation plan with your family
  • Never leave food unattended while cooking
  • Install smoke detectors
  • Replace detector’s batteries twice a year

Smoke Detectors

Smoke is the number one sign of a developing fire. For this reason, having multiple smoke detectors throughout your home is important to help detect early warning signs of a potential fire. Smoke detectors can sense the tiny particles in smoke and sound the alarm before flames begin forming. The New York State Department of Health explains that seventy percent of fire-related deaths occur in homes lacking smoke detectors or faulty smoke detectors.

Installing these detectors increases your chances of survival during a house fire by fifty percent. To ensure your devices are working correctly, enlist the help of an electrician. The experts will hardwire the system into your home, which means the system will still work even if the batteries fail. They also know how to install them without causing unnecessary damage to your home. Before the electrician leaves, they will efficiently troubleshoot to ensure everything is working properly to keep you and your home safe.

Power Surges

Your home has many wires running throughout the walls of your home. For this reason, your home can easily fall victim to electrical surges. These surges are an unexpected increase in voltage caused by numerous reasons. Some surges are caused by larger appliances within the home, such as washers, dryers, and other large power fluctuations. It can also be caused by outside factors such as lightning strikes or changes in the power grid. The Insurance Information Institute explains that more than 20 million homes fall victim to lightning strikes annually, causing up to one billion dollars in damage.

When the influx of electrical current travels through various items plugged into the wall and the electrical current exceeds the operating range, it can cause irreversible damage. For instance, if you keep your laptop plugged into the wall, and an unexpected surge of electricity runs through the system, it could cause the inadequate wiring to fry, leaving your expensive equipment to be nothing more than a paperweight.

How to Stay Protected

Avoid Overloading Circuits

If multiple devices receive power from one outlet, consider dispersing them to other outlets.

Unplug Appliances

If you aren’t using a device, unplug it from the outlet. This eliminates any chance of your valuable electronics falling victim to electrical surge damage.

Whole Home Surge Protection

Installing whole home surge protection is one of the most effective ways to keep your valuables protected. Commonly hardwired into your home’s electrical service box, this device routes any extra voltage or surge through the device instead of your expensive appliances. This form of protection will need to be installed by a professional who will do the job properly so your appliances remain adequately protected.

Regarding the overall protection of your home, HedgeHog Electric is here for you! Our expert team knows what it takes to keep your home safe. For optimal protection and peace of mind, give us a call today! (866) 605-2113

Categories